The last time Chicago Cubs won the World Series was in 1908. Take a minute to grasp the intensity of this sentence. 1908. That is 108 years ago.
If you were born in that year, you would have to be 108 years old to be able to witness a celebration of this magnitude. The Earth has gone round and back to its position 108 times since the last time the Cubs won the World Series.
Yes. Today we will know if we are all part of history.
But first, let’s see what other things have changed since the last time the Cubbies got home the trophy.
- There was no radio or television the last time Cubs won the trophy. Now we have the radio, the television, the Internet, you name it.
- Since 1908, 14 more teams have been added to the Major League Baseball.
- The Haley’s comet passed Earth. Twice.
- The landing on the moon. Yes, that also happened.
- Wars have been fought, lost and conquered. The World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War, the Iraq War and the Afghanistan War. Sadly, our great-grandfathers and grandfathers witnessed numerous wars but not the Cubs winning the title.
- Since the last time the Cubs won the title, United States lived through 16 presidents.
- The Titanic happened too.
- Since 1908, the Cubbies have played more than 15,000 regular-season games. Sure, we lost majority of them, but that definitely is a number to savor.
Witness the making of history tonight! Game 7 begins at 7 p.m.