Woman Receives 15-months After Encouraging Boyfriend’s Suicide

Woman Receives 15-months After Encouraging Boyfriend’s Suicide

Woman Receives 15-months After Encouraging Boyfriend’s Suicide

The verdict came down on 20-year-old Michelle Carter Thursday, when she was charged for encouraging the suicide of her boyfriend Conrad Roy III. Roy’s suicide was three years ago and because Carter was only 17-years-old at the time she was tried as a minor. The text messages leading up to Roy’s suicide is the reason for Carter’s guilty conviction.

Carter faced up to 20 years for involuntary manslaughter, but received a two-and-a-half-year sentence including a 15-month prison sentence and the remaining time supervised probation in Massachusetts. The judge is setting a precedent for the state to show that this behavior will no longer be tolerated. This case may take Massachusetts on the path to create a law where “encouraging or coercing suicide” is a crime. Similar laws already exist in 40 other states.

Roy committed suicide in July 2014 by breathing in carbon monoxide in his pickup truck in the parking lot of Kmart 40 miles from his home. The final text messages exchanged between the boyfriend and girlfriend include Carter asking what he was waiting for. And when Roy had doubts, she badgered him saying, “I thought you wanted to do this.”

These are some of Carter’s actual horrific messages leading to Roy’s suicide:

Carter: “You’re gonna have to prove me wrong because I just don’t think you really want this. You just keeps pushing it off to another night and say you’ll do it but you never do”
Carter: “SEE THAT’S WHAT I MEAN. YOU KEEP PUSHING IT OFF! You just said you were gonna do it tonight and now you’re saying eventually. . . .”
Carter: “But I bet you’re gonna be like ‘oh, it didn’t work because I didn’t tape the tube right or something like that’ . . . I bet you’re gonna say an excuse like that”

One of the main reasons the judge found Carter guilty on top of the incriminating messages was the fact that Carter listened to Roy’s last breaths during his final phone call, didn’t tell him to get out of the car, didn’t contact authorities or his family once he had died. His body was found one day later.

Carter will remain free pending appeals.