By Jessica Lynk
As the beginning of fall hits, crime in Chicago still does not seem to be slowing down. Cold weather will hit soon, creating deterrence, but for now the city is still ridden with crime. Here is a breakdown of some of the shootings that happened this week.
1. Three men were shot Wednesday night in the Chatham neighborhood. Around 10:10 p.m. the men were standing on the 400 block of East 79th St. when someone driving by fired shots at the men. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, police said. A 32-year-old was shot in the leg and taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in good condition and a 34-year-old was shot in the back and leg and taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn where his condition was stabilized.
2. A man was shot multiple times in Little Village on Wednesday night, police said. The 36-year-old male was standing on the 2800 block of South Komensky St. when a dark SUV passed by around 7:40 p.m. and someone began shooting from inside of it. The passerby shot him twice in the leg and in the left arm, police said. The man was taken to Mount Sinai where his condition was stabilized.
3. Two men were shot Wednesday afternoon in Austin. At the 5000 block of West Concord, two men, 21 and 34, were standing on the street when they heard gunfire and felt pain. They ran to North and Leclaire after the shooting, which occurred around 1 p.m. The 21-year-old was shot in the chest and taken to Stroger Hospital where his condition was stabilized, police said. The 34-year-old was shot in the right hand and taken to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park in good condition.
4. A man was shot to death in the Back of the Yards neighborhood early Wednesday. The 51-year-old was shot by someone he was arguing with. The argument took place around 12:35 a.m. on the 5100 block of South Honore St. He was shot in the abdomen and pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital.
5. A man was shot Tuesday afternoon in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. The 55-year-old was shot while working on a vehicle around 2:50 p.m. He was on the 1400 block of North Homan St. when someone in the neighborhood opened fire. The man who police claim has gang ties was hit in the arm. He was in good condition at Norwegian American Hospital.
6. A man was shot to death around 3 a.m. on Tuesday on the West side. Eddie Huff, a 29-year-old, was at a stop light in the 200 block of South Western St. when a male walked up and and fired shots into the vehicle. He was shot in the abdomen and taken to Stroger Hospital where he was pronounced dead 45 minutes later.
7. A 25-year-old was shot in Brighton Park on Monday night. The man was driving at 11:32 p.m. when someone in a minivan shot at him when he pulled up to his car on the 3100 block of West Pershing. The man was shot in the back, neck and head and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where he was stabilized. Police said he is a documented gang member.
8. Earlier Monday morning three men were shot in the Chicago Lawn neighborhood. Around 9:15 a.m. two 18-year-olds were standing in the mouth of an alley in the 6900 block of South Western when a white car pulled up and someone inside the vehicle fired shots. One of the 18-year-old men was shot in the back and taken to Stroger Hospital where he was listed in critical condition, police said. The other 18-year-old was shot in the hip and calf, and was taken to Christ Medical Center. Police said he is a documented gang member.