During 15 hours from Monday through early Tuesday, 17 people were shot in Chicago. The violent pace continued on Wednesday, leaving 16 people wounded and three killed in just over 12 hours, many during broad daylight. It was the second straight weekday that saw violence more typical for weekends.
1. The first Wednesday fatal shooting occurred at around 2:45 am in the 9700 block of South Morgan Street in the Longwood Manor neighborhood. A 35-year-old woman had been talking with her boyfriend in his van, but when she had gone back to her Toyota Camry and gotten in, another car approached and someone inside opened fire. The boyfriend said he heard about seven gunshots, police said. She was identified as Tashika Manuel-Dunbar, of the 500 block of South Desplaines Avenue in Forest Park, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. She was pronounced dead at 4:15 a.m. at Roseland Community Hospital.
2. About 12:35 a.m., 22-year-old James King was shot dead in the Englewood neighborhood on the South Side, police said. He was found in the 6600 block of South Carpenter Street with a gunshot wound to the chest. He was taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn and pronounced dead at 1:59 a.m.
3. About 11 a.m. Tuesday, 34-year-old Jonathan Green was found shot in the 1100 block of South Karlov Avenue on the West Side with wounds to the head and torso. He was pronounced dead at 11:36 a.m. at the scene.
4. About 4:30 a.m. Wednesday on the Near South Side, a 23-year-old woman was shot in the back and grazed on her shoulder while driving in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood in the 2300 block of South Hoyne Avenue, police said. She went to Mount Sinai Hospital, where she was listed in good condition.
5. Just before 4:30 p.m. on the West Side, a 26-year-old man was shot in the buttocks in the 1100 block of North Pulaski Road in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, police said. He was in Linden Park when he heard gunshots and tried to run away. A good Samaritan drove him to Norwegian American Hospital, and he was later transferred to Stroger Hospital.
6. About 3:50 p.m. on the West Side, a 28-year-old man was shot in the back in the 1000 block of North Waller Avenue and taken in serious condition to West Suburban Medical Center, but was transferred to Stroger Hospital, police said. The 28-year-old told police he was on the sidewalk when he heard shots and felt pain, police said.
7. Wednesday, an 18-year-old man was shot in his head and body in Humboldt Park. The incident occurred in the 700 block of North Ridgeway Avenue at 8:45 p.m. when a person walked up to him and shot him. The victim was taken to Stroger in critical condition.
8. In the Linden Playlot Park near Pulaski and Division in Humboldt Park, a 26-year-old man man was shot in his buttocks. The shooting occurred at 4:29 p.m. He was taken to Norwegian American Hospital by a passerby before being transferred to Stroger. According to police, the shooting may have been gang-related.
9. In North Lawndale, two 16-year-old boys were shot while in the 3800 block of West Roosevelt Road at 11:15 a.m. A boy was shot in his left shoulder and taken to Mount Sinai in good condition. The other boy was shot in his back and taken to Mount Sinai in serious condition.