As of print date, 949 people have been shot in Chicago this year, 165 fatally. According to Chicago police, between Wednesday evening and Thursday early morning, six people have been shot on the Northwest and West Sides.
As temperatures rise, so do the shootings. With violence spreading across the city, here is where the most recent shootings occurred this past week.
1. A woman walking home on the Far Northwest Side was shot in the abdomen early Thursday by two robbers who had demanded her purse, according to Chicago police.
The woman, 55, was confronted near a complex of town homes across the street from Grandparents Park in the 5400 block of North Chester Avenue around 12:20 a.m., police said. There was a struggle and one of the robbers pulled a gun and shot her.
She was taken in serious condition to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, according to police. A neighbor said the two men had passed her before the attack.
The woman was among six people shot in Chicago between Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.
2. Around 5:10 p.m. Wednesday, a man was killed and another man was wounded in a shooting on the Cermak Road exit ramp of the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chinatown.
3. On the Northwest Side, a 39-year-old man was shot in the left leg while walking in the 1800 block of North Keeler Avenue in the Hermosa neighborhood about 12:10 a.m. Thursday. He was approached by two men from behind, and one of them opened fire, police said. The man was taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.
4. On the West Side, a 17-year-old boy was shot in the right arm and abdomen in the 200 block of North Sacramento Boulevard in the East Garfield Park neighborhood at about 11:55 p.m. Wednesday. The boy was walking on the sidewalk when someone in a passing vehicle fired shots, police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition was stabilized. Police were investigating a silver SUV that was abandoned near a Citgo station at West Fulton Street and North Sacramento.
5. About 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, a 20-year-old man was walking in the 4500 block of North Clarendon when a white vehicle approached, stopped, and someone exited the vehicle and fired multiple shots, police said. The man suffered gunshot wounds to both arms and his right leg and was taken in critical condition to Illinois Masonic Medical Center.
6. Two hours earlier, two men were wounded in a Humboldt Park neighborhood drive-by shooting about 7:30 p.m. on the West Side. The men — ages 30 and 36 — were shot when a black vehicle drove by and someone inside opened fire in the 2900 block of West Augusta, police said. The older man was shot in his right forearm and the younger man was struck in his right calf and left ankle, police said. According to authorities, both men showed up at Norwegian American Hospital, where their conditions were stabilized.
7. At 10:53 a.m., someone fired shots from a red SUV, striking an 18-year-old man in the back in the 200 block of North Karlov in the West Garfield Park neighborhood on the West Side, according to police. The man’s condition was stabilized at Mount Sinai Hospital, authorities said.
By Vera Sauchanka