A 26-year-old man was shot dead and nine other people were wounded Wednesday morning to early Thursday in shootings on the West and South sides, according to the Chicago police.
1. In the latest attack, two men were shot on the West Side in the Austin neighborhood. That shooting happened about 3:30 p.m. near Chicago and Lockwood avenues, police said.
According to authorities, the victims were standing on a corner when a white Dodge Caravan pulled up and someone fired shots.
A 26-year-old man suffered a wound to the left knee and was taken to West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park where his condition was stabilized. The other victim, 32, was shot in the leg and was taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital, according to police.
2. About 25 minutes before the West Side shooting, another person was shot in the Uptown neighborhood on the North Side.
About 3:05 p.m., a 26-year-old man was walking in the 1000 block of West Wilson Avenue when he was approached by four men. One of them pulled out a gun and fired shots, striking him in the left thigh.
The victim was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center where his condition was stabilized, police said.
3. Earlier Thursday, a 20-year-old man was wounded in a drive-by shooting in the South Chicago neighborhood, according to police.
Based on the preliminary information, shortly after 10:15 a.m., the victim was in the 8000 block of South Coles Avenue when someone in a black vehicle drove up and fired shots in his direction.
The man suffered a wound to the hip, walked into Advocate Trinity Hospital and reported that he was shot in a drive-by.
4. About 5:10 a.m. Thursday, a 39-year-old man was shot while sitting in a van near the 5900 block of South Loomis Avenue in Englewood when two people approached the vehicle and opened fire. The man was shot in the arm and leg and taken to Stoger Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.
5. Just after midnight Thursday, a 40-year-old man was shot while he was in a garage in the 4600 block of South Kedzie Avenue in the Brighton Park neighborhood on the city’s Southwest Side, police said. Two men approached and opened fire, striking him in the chest and abdomen. He was taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital. Officers at the scene searched inside a garage that had been left open. Police cars surrounded a silver sedan that had been left in the middle of the alley near the garage.
6. The fatal attack happened shortly after 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 5400 block of West Kamerling Avenue in the Austin neighborhood on the city’s West Side, according to Chicago police media notifications.
A 26-year-old man was in the passenger seat of a vehicle when the shooter, wearing a dark-hooded jacket, walked up to the vehicle and shot him multiple times, police said. The shooter then ran in an unknown direction.
The victim was taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. No one was in custody.
7. Shortly after 1 p.m., a man was shot in the 100 block of North Kedzie Avenue in East Garfield Park. According to preliminary reports, someone inside a green vehicle shot a 32-year-old man who was in another vehicle traveling south on Kedzie, police said. He suffered a gunshot wound to the arm and got himself to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was in good condition, police said.
No one was in custody and police were investigating.
By Vera Sauchanka